Wednesday 29 February 2012

What wings?...




Hi AlI, I came across the 'Michelle Obama' arm workout (below) and found it interesting, as Summer approaches and the sleeveless items of clothing will be pulled out of the wardrobe. 

I didn't follow it myself but have been working on my arms for a few years now. The exercise I'm demonstrating in the picture is more of a shoulder work out but I just wanted to show you the definition in my arms.  I actually started at home with the above dumbbells (5kgs), although I did start with the 2kgs :)  I bought them in Argos many years ago and I note that Argos now have a super range of sports equipment on offer in their current brochure....well worth a look.

Since joining the gym, I've worked my arms in Body Pump classes, Kettlebell classes, and now with my new resistance programme to strengthen my upper body so as to allow me to achieve my 'gym goal' of proper push ups and pull ups.  The training is going well but I have quite a bit to go (incidentally it's a killer of a programme).  As you can see, my arms are toned and undoubtedly the most toned part of my body.

I know this work-out is designed to be done in the gym but I think it could be tweaked so you can do it at home with dumbells (instead of a barbell)

Here is the Michelle arm workout, called 'The Obama', which is designed to be done every five days.

The routine is in two circuits, with three exercises in each.
A1: Close-grip bench press, six repetitions, then 10 second rest.
Lie on a bench, keep your hands close and push a barbell up from just below the nipple line, lower slowly.
A2: Decline dumbbell triceps extensions, 12 reps, 10 seconds rest.
Lie down, arms raised up and parallel, lower weight to just past your shoulder, holding it vertical, not horizontal. Don't wobble.
A3: Push-ups, 25 reps, two minutes rest.
You can do this onto a bench, or on your knees.
B1: Standing bar curls, 12 reps, 10 seconds rest.
Drop your arms, lock elbows out, raise the bar, then lower slowly.
B3: Low-incline hammer curls, 25 reps, two minutes rest.
Lie on an incline, with both arms simultaneously curl weight up slowly and release.
Do A1, rest 10 seconds; A2, rest 10 seconds; A3, rest two minutes. Repeat four times. Then do the same for the B exercises.

Another great exercise for the triceps (backs of the arms) are Tricep Dips. 

Perhaps we'll do shoulders another day..please let me know what you think?

2 comments:

  1. Pam, that is great, I have been looking for exercises for my arms, as well as the rest of my body but the arms are a particular hate of mine, I'll start with bottles of water until I get the weights from argos. By the way, your arms look fantanstic!! Love the blog, I am a follower, just have no picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Orla....is that you Orla 'Brock'? I was wondering who that was. In the Argos, Davina McCall does a cute set of 3 pairs for the ladies in bright colours that are only €20 and they go from .68kg, a 1.13kg to a 2.27kg which would be perfect for a beginner. I would try to progess to heavier ones as soon as possible though to get real results. There's also a lovely set there (€40), complete with a stack rack that has 1kg, 2kg & 3kg...I think that would be better, however I will leave it to you to decide. A little tip, when you are exercising any muscle, ensure that you contract the muscle you are working ie tense it, squeeze it, as you are working it as this will also help achieve better results. Another little tip, don't rush it...the slower and more definite the move the better the results. Orla, I hope this helps, would love to know how you get on....please come back and tell us...maybe we'll get a piccy up :) x

    ReplyDelete