Thursday 12 July 2012

Foraging...

Quite a few people have asked me lately about what foods I eat or to eat for general well being.  I'm not a qualified Nutritionist however I did study Nutrition in college
so can offer advice.

SEEDS :)

These little fellas are nature's most concentrated source of nutrients and they really are invaluable to your health.  I would highly recommend eating a variety of seeds daily. 2 tablespoons sprinkled on porridge, in yogurt or over salads etc.

The are high in Fibre and Omega 3
Fibre helps to pass digestible and indigestible food through the digestive system and the insoluble fibres 'scrub out' the system as it passes through the body before we...
well ye know yourself.

Omega 3 is needed for blood clotting, the immune system, lower your risk of heart attack, protects the nervous system and cell membranes in the brain.  I'm also trying their Omega 3 capsules at a fraction of the cost of some other brands.

I was spending a small fortune on a certain brand of milled seeds until I popped into Aldi last week and came across their range.  It must be fairly new to the stores as I never noticed them before (see pic).

...plugging Aldi products!

There are selection of 4 foil packs to choose from:
Milled Linseed, Gojiberries, Sunflower & Pumpkinseeds
Linseed Crunch with Cranberry & Almond
Milled Linseed with Sesame, Blueberries & Raspberries
Golden  Linseed Crunch With clusters of Linseed, sunflower/pumpkin seeds & honey
They are all ONLY €2.79 each..yes...€2.79 :)
I was paying €6.00 or €7.00 per pack for the other brand!

They also stock a small selection of natural nuts ie walnut halves, almonds etc which are much more reasonable than other brands and a selection of Fruit Mixes and dried fruits that are ideal for snacking or for topping off your morning porridge (that's what I do).

I eat 10 almonds every day as they are the most nutritious of all the nuts, I'm sure I've written about these super guys in a previous Post but the list is endless.  I also have 3 Brazil nuts a day. Brazil nuts are particularly healthy due to their high selenium content, which makes their protein content "complete". This means that, unlike the proteins in most plant products,
Brazil nuts' proteins contain all the necessary amino acids .

Finally, if you're a Green Tea drinker, they also stock a selection of Green Teas infused with either Earl Grey, Jasmine or plain for €1.79
I was paying €4.99 for another range!
I've also written about the benefits of drinking Green Tea in a previous Post. 
3 mugs a day.. if you can stomach it?  It is an acquired taste :)

Their Effervescent Vit C (which is, like the green tea, is a source of antioxidants which contribute to your body's defences) is also being given a shot as I don't always eat as much fruit as I should....

All of the above washed with 3 litres of water a day and
'Bob's your uncle'!

I would love to hear any other suggestions or comments...
makes me feel like I'm not talking to myself.... 

Is there anybody out there?!
(starting lyrics to my favourite song...)

No comments:

Post a Comment