Monday 5 March 2012

Going forwards...

I can 'shoulder press' at home when I can't get to the gym..
..but facing backwards...perhaps my best side :)  Just letting you know how I'm getting on with my two current projects (1) my weight training programme to improve my upper body strength and (2) my course in Exercise, Nutrition & Personal Training.

Firstly, my programme is going quite well, considering I'm not always finding the time to get to the gym to do it three times per week as I should.  I've managed to 'lower' the bar, a notch, for my 'up' the rack push-ups. I'm now pressing 2' from the ground, feet together and bar to chest...5 X10 sets...whew! The idea is to keep lowering the bar until eventually I'm pushing comfortably and with strong technique, from the ground.

I'm not going to bring a camera to the gym to show you how it's done, so I just found pics of 'Bob' in his work shirt and hat to demonstrate.  It's a great way for you girls to train to get off the knees and into a real press-up, as they are a fantastic overall body work out.

I'm getting a little stronger with eccentric chin ups.  These are about getting your chin above the bar, holding it (and your body of course) there without movement for as long as you can (Isometric Muscle Contractions) approx 12 secs for me and then lowering yourself as slowly as possible (Eccentric Muscle Contractions) approx 7 secs for me.  As I improve the lowering should take me longer and longer.  I only do three of these until my technique improves.

Don't think my back with ever look this good though :)
There are other exercises, Pull downs, Shoulder presses etc. as part of the programme but I'll spare you the details.

Secondly, my course is coming along swimmingly, although it is intense. There are four different sections to the course, Anatomy, Physiology, Exercise to Music & Resistance Training and they are all starting to click together for me.  My fellow students are the best, we really gel well and enjoy each others company.  One of the guys has set up our own Group page on FB and we are having our first night out at the end of the month.  Smoothies and salads all round....eh...

Finding time in a week for 3 classes, study, work-outs and family is challenging.  However, it's more challenging for those who have to work and travel from various parts of the country (some as far as Wexford).  There are quite a few people in the class who have to do this and they deserve and have my respect and admiration.

There are loads of you out there doing courses and studying...how are you getting on? I'd really love to know and also I'd welcome any study tips :)

No comments:

Post a Comment